Alum Zoom with Jillian Powers, PhD, Responsible AI Lead at Idea Couture
Jillian Powers, PhD is an applied sociologist, educator, and general rabble rouser who cut her teeth in the undercommons of elite universities. After receiving her BA fromDartmouth College, she earned her PhD from Duke University in Sociology. She has held postdoctoral positions in American Studies and Sociology at WashingtonUniversity in Saint Louis and Brandeis University, and has taught civics andAmerican Democracy at Democracy Prep in Harlem NY. In 2016, after another disappointing year on the academic job market, she went rogue. She now works in the private sector as the Lead for Responsible AI for Cognizant, a multinational digital and professional services company, and joyfully lives inCrown Heights, Brooklyn where she builds her community. She has lots of strong opinions and has been regularly called a "difficult" woman. She has worked in industry supporting digital transformation and innovation for clients across a range of industries and verticals at ReD Associates, Gemic, Narativ, and Idea Couture.
1. Can you tell us about your background?
2. How did you get your job?
3. What's a typical day like at your organization (pre- and post-COVID)?
4. What can postdocs and students who would like to work in this field(or explore it further) do to prepare?
5. What is the employment outlook for this field, given the COVID crisis? (please note that the answer to this question may be "we don't know yet.")