Faculty Short Course on Improving Departmental Climate
As Duke continues to work toward becoming a more equitable institution, many faculty are working to reimagine aspects of their professional experiences and interactions with others. For some, this includes examining their school/departmental climates and revisiting the norms and behaviors that impact their students, staff and faculty colleagues. This short course will guide faculty through sessions to explore their current school/departmental climates and empower them with practical steps to increase equity in their local environments.
Topics will include:
• Examining the norms and values that currently exist in schools and departments, and identifying how they influence departmental culture and practice
• Considering the differing lived and professional experiences of faculty, staff and students in academic units
• Building team and collaborative relationships among colleagues
• Developing practical strategies to approach climate challenges across groups
• Exploring how departmental policies and structures impact retention and professional success
• Identifying methods to assess and evaluate the effectiveness of departmental practices
The short course will run for four consecutive days from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. each day. Participants who complete all four sessions will receive a certificate of completion at the conclusion of the course.