Pathology Grand Rounds - The History of Equations for eGFR (Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate) OR…Fool Me Once, Shame on You; Fool Me Dozens of Times, Shame on Us
After attending this session, participants should be able to:
* Describe the process for serial (within-individual) monitoring of serum creatinine or eGFR
* Utilize appropriate within-individual changes of sCr and eGFR to optimize clinical interpretations and guide detection of early stages of Chronic Kidney Disease
* Describe how within-individual changes of creatinine (or eGFR) eliminate the variables of race, nationality, sex, and age from clinical interpretation
* Gain insight into the imprecision and other shortcomings of measured GFRs
* Understand why there should be no more equations for eGFR!!!!